Monday, April 20, 2009

It's all action in my writing studio..

The last month has been a momentous one for me in that I have given up my teaching. It may be temporary but at the moment I'm feeling as if I've stepped off the cliff. What will I do?

Ah, yes write of course.

And today I got a helping hand. Meet my new writing guardian, Jane Austen herself...



She has special super-powers - just see her weapon of choice...



But then so do I. It's official (or at least according to the groups of my lovely ex-writing class who gave me Jane today together with this label which made me laugh a lot) ...



I'm famously fussy with what I keep in my writing study. But Jane can stay. Look how pleased she is about it (you should see her everytime I shoot off a particularly beautiful comma ...



And she is getting on well with another member of the Writing Studio menagerie. Have I introduced you to Howl's Moving Castle yet? I don't want to boast too much but this very model used to belong to Ursula Le Guin you know. But if they didn't like each other, perhaps it wouldn't matter. Jane Austen apparently said: 'I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them.'

6 comments:

Nik Perring said...

That's simply brill!

Tania Hershman said...

Ah, how fitting. I love your superpowers. May the Jane Austen force be with you! Do you have a Mr Darcy doll??

Sarah Salway said...

Hah, thanks you two. Here are some of my special punctuation points just for you - ...,,,:::;;;"""
Not yet, Tania - I think he can't quite get out of that ruddy lake.

Sue Guiney said...

I've been following your posts about how it's all you change for you these days (of course I have!). Sounds exciting but, I bet, a bit scary too. Well done! I can't wait to see what marvellous stuff come out of it all. xo

Sarah Salway said...

Aw, Sue. Thanks. Much appreciated coming from the Queen of Multi-genre!

Mervat said...

Imagine Jane's joy when you use a possessive apostrophe or two then!