Thursday, June 19, 2008

Bits and Bobs ... and showers

I've just finalised yesterday the details of a writing weekend I'm going to be facilitating in France this October (16th - 19th). It's privately organised, and the second year running I've been asked to do this. Last year was such a wonderful, fun experience that I still find myself smiling at some of the things we wrote, said and thought about. So I'm delighted to find many of the participants are coming back for more. However, there are still places so if you think you might want to find out some details, do email me and I'll forward you the name of the organiser. My main memories from last year is someone saying that at any time over the weekend you could hear laughter coming from somewhere in the building, heated debates over whether you should dry between your toes or not, and dissecting the personalities of people who wear matching underwear. Also of us all just lying out on the grass after supper and watching the stars. One night I saw three shooting stars. All those wishes...

And speaking of which, here is my horoscope for today:

If you spotted something in a craft shop or art studio, dear Virgo, that you would really like to buy, but can't afford - consider making it. Even if you don't think you are particularly artistic, you may surprise yourself if you give a project half a chance. There are numerous web sites that cater to novice crafters that can give you the support and instructions you need. Don't dismiss your ability. Explore this avenue, and see about finding a creative niche for yourself.

So here's the object I'm lusting after most at the moment:



Now of course us 'dear Virgos' can turn our hand at most things (particularly if it involves alphabeticising and criticising) but this might be a wish too far. Sam Winston is safe in his 'creative niche' for a little while, I think. And quite right. These are objects of art that make me want to cry out with excitement. Seriously, just how beautiful are they?

But hmmm, crying... have I talked about my knitting recently? No. Thought not. Six months after starting, I have finished ONE sock. A friend very diplomatically pointed out the holes are in just the right place for ventilation. Anyone know a sweaty hopping-type person who isn't very fussy?

And lastly, I'm not the first to say that the good thing about poets is that they make you see things differently. The strange thing is when it's your own home. This week I had the pleasure of having John Fuller to stay after his reading in Tunbridge Wells. He made me laugh out loud when I read in his email after: "Your shower is like a Roman tomb made over for a Parisian night-club." I went rushing up to look at my shower, and do you know what? He's right. However, he did also write: "And your dog is the sweetest dog I have met for a long time." Which I could have told him already.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The course in France sounds wonderful and I can't believe I'll be away in Japan when it happens again this year. What a pity . . . . but I guess there's always 2009, and I can't complain about going to Japan!!

Claudia

xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

We met a few weeks ago, I'm Janita's god-daughter, Francesca. The photo of Sam Winston's work reminded me of this:
http://www.thedesignfiles.net/2008/04/interview-nicholas-jones.html
I thought you might like it.

:-) Francesca

Sarah Salway said...

Shame, Claudia, but Japan sounds amazing. Hope it's a holiday.

Hey, Francesca, thanks. I'll look at that.

Unknown said...

that link looks like it's hiding behind something. Here it is again, just in case. The artists name is Nicolas Jones and this is probably a better link anyway...
http://www.bibliopath.org/index.php

Francesca

Sarah Salway said...

Francesca, I'm guessing Janita's now on email! Will you email me with your address? sarahsalway@gmail.com. x