Friday, February 01, 2008

What a party!













Cakes, good readings, books, wine, laughs ... what more could you want? Last night's launch of the Your Messages book exceeded every expectation Lynne and I had - and if you want to know how the glass of champagne sneaked its way into the photos above, well, yes, we did take ourselves off for a glass (or two) before just to celebrate and still our quaking nerves! We needn't have bothered - I don't think Lynne and I stopped smiling the whole evening, champagne or no champagne.

Thank you everyone who took part, who bought a book (we raised nearly £500 for the Kids Company) and more importantly, to everyone who joined in the project from the beginning. We've kept the website up because we think ALL the work is of such a high quality. As always, the choice is not necessarily 'the best' but what fits together and gives a good mix. The book is, in my mind, the perfect reflection of what happened in November - I can't stop reading it and see a new line that makes me stop and pause every time -

I was born an unreliable narrator .... Son, find me in black and white ....The hardness had affected every inch of her .... She was licked. Top to toe, ear to hip, nipple to calf ....Abel Houseman took the pictures (and wishes he hadn't because the Bride's Mother is a cow...


Sometimes you get lucky. And that's what last night felt for me. Lucky to be a part of it all.

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

It was indeed a lovely evening - thank you to both you and Lynne for everything. It was quite overwhelming for me being in the presence of such talent but also because I have never attended anything like that before (I hope it will be the first of many!). It was great to meet everyone at last. Looking forward to the next one and brushing up on my samba technique.

Sarah Salway said...

Kathryn, no need for you to be overwhelmed. You were the best starter we could have had ... but yes, we will look forward to the samba demonstration next time!

Pearl said...

Glad the launch was a proper blast!

Alex Johnson said...

It was fantastic, especially the free wine, although it was a bit nippy downstairs.

I can samba. Kathryn can samba. That's the batucada show for the break sorted for next year then.

Sarah Salway said...

It was, Pearl. Thanks for visiting, and hurrah, Alex - you and Kathryn will be in charge of the dancing next year ...