Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Tiptoe through the graveyard

Shall I tell you what I've got sitting on my desk to read right now? Want to feel really really jealous? OK, it's only the manuscript of Neil Gaiman's latest, unpublished until October 2008, novel, The Graveyard Book. I've been reading it on and off for a while but I kept having to break off while he wrote the next bit - God, some writers are so selfish sometimes, did he really need to sleep? - but now I've got the whole yummy thing in front of me, and I can't wait to sink myself into this sinister, spooky, funny, sweet graveyard world.

I'll report more later, but in the meantime you can shake Neil's Magnificent Oracular journal. Or I'll tell you what, shall I give you a random sentence from The Graveyard Book ... ?
The creature that grinned sharp teeth and let a pointed tongue of improbable length waggle between its teeth, did not look like Bod's idea of a bishop: its skin was piebald and it had a large spot across one eye, making it look almost piratical.


Hmmm... now who will play him in the film, I wonder.

4 comments:

jem said...

I've been meaning to read something by him for ages. I heard his name flying about for years but never really took in who he was - till I read the Tori Amos book last year, and realised Neil was the Neil she often mentions, and so I thought I should check him out. I've got 'American Gods' waiting on my shelf. Perhaps time to actually read it.

Alex Johnson said...

Johnny Depp

Nik Perring said...

Ooh you lucky beggar! That is a proper princessy privilege. ;)

Very jealous indeed. You must let us know your thoughts on it when you've finished...

Nik

Sarah Salway said...

American Gods is great, Jem. Look forward to hearing what you think.
Yep, Alex, he was the first one I thought of but there's another better role for him in the book.
Ha, Nik, I'd read a bit quicker, but this tiara keeps slipping!!!