Wednesday, July 12, 2006

My first ever creative fiction publication was a short story taken by QWF Magazine, and I was so excited I slept with the acceptance letter from the scarey sounding editor, Jo Good, under my pillow. Since then, I've had several other stories published by the magazine, spoke at the annual conference and, having got to know and like Jo, looked on with admiration as she's managed to enthusiastically keep her dream alive of encouraging other women writers, and publishing some of the best fiction around. All this probably to the detriment of her own creative work, because she's a talented writer as well as an editor. I've just heard today that Jo is stepping down from the magazine, although she's keeping charge of the excellent Phillip Good Memorial Prize, a short story competition named in honour of her late first husband. Anyway, just wanted to use this opportunity to say a big THANK YOU to Jo - you never forget your first time! - and to wish the new editor, Kathie Giorgio all the best.

No comments: