Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The writer Mark Pritchard has been working on a really interesting series of interviews with writers, What Are You Working on? and I was honoured to be asked to take part recently. It's fascinating to see the challenges writers are going through AT THE TIME of writing, rather than when they've been overcome. I particularly liked the quote from Laura Krughoff about the differences in writing short stories and novels:
The first draft of a short story has always been my least favorite part of the writing process -- I've always felt subject to the tyranny of finishing. For that reason, I've been really surprised by how liberating and fun diving into a draft of a novel has been. I'm enjoying the feeling of having a work in progress -- knowing I get to be with these characters and this material for a good long while.

No comments: